Africa is a country with a lot to see, and when you’re confined to one city during your visit, you can miss out on a lot of that. A river cruise is a great way to see far more than you usually would. It’s also a great way to relax. Why deal with the hustle and bustle of a city like Durban if you don’t want to? River cruises offer the ideal getaway for many people, and are a unique experience.
What can I expect?
People who haven’t done cruises are understandably uncertain about what they should expect on their cruise. Here are a couple of things that stand out to us:
You’ll see more
- Many cruises go pretty far, and it’s not uncommon for a four day cruise to visit two or three countries. Starting in South Africa, you could easily hit Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe on your travels. In each location, depending on the cruise, you might get tours of major cities, or even spend the night someplace like Cape Town.
You’re experience will be different
- Many people who go to South Africa stick completely to the tourist zones. That’s a great way to spend your time, but river cruisers get a much broader perspective. You’ll get to spend some time with locals, see the wild, and be immersed in a situation that will give you stories others will be envious of.
You’ll feel rich
- On a cruise, you’ll be treated like royalty. You’ll get the full experience of having great cuisine, beautiful tours, and rest and relaxation that you most likely won’t experience back home. And you’ll do it without breaking the bank.
How you’ll spend your time
Of course, every cruise is organized differently, but here are some things you might encounter while cruising through South Africa:
- When your boat pulls into a new port, you’ll have a few options. Some people head straight to the hotel, or get some local food, but others take advantage of the cruise ships offerings (usually included in the price of the cruise). These could include tours of the town, scouting out local landmarks and even organized activities like safaris.
- Many cruises include cultural presentations. You’ll get to learn about local tribes, fascinating history and the unique landscape of southern Africa. For anyone interested in learning something about their vacation spot, cruises are actually a great way to be exposed to a variety of local knowledge.
- Of course, for those looking for a less regulated timeout, cruises also offer plenty of free time for you to explore on your own. If you just want to be a solo tourist, and not worry about a guided tour, or presentation, you’ll be welcome to strike out on your own and see everything South African has to offer
There are no right or wrong ways to spend your time in South Africa, but for those looking for a unique experience, relaxation and a broader perspective than the typical tourist gets, river cruises are an excellent way to take in some of South Africa’s beauty. Contact us today to get started planning your river cruise!